Translate

Blog Archive

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Nature Notes and Our World Tuesday: Last week of February and the first day of March

Monday of this week saw an almost total melt of the prior week's snow and ice but Monday night a new snow began with a little sleet mixed in.

natureworldDSCN1102

I had another week of working mostly from home.

natureworldDSCN1219

Since I live in Raleigh, NC and work in Durham, NC it's hard to call weather issues because there can be a difference between the two places.

natureworldDSCN1271

I live roughly 30 miles from my office and although the main roads were treated with salt and plowed, the secondary and neighborhood roads were by and large a mess.

natureworldDSCN1298

When I was younger I didn't mind driving in winter storms but at my age I don't want the hassle.

natureworldDSCN1531

Fortunately, I can connect to my work network from my home computer.

natureworldDSCN1637

The first bunch of shots are from Tuesday and Wednesday. The shot above and below are from Thursday after Wednesday night's snow and sleet.

natureworldDSCN1668

The mid week storm was very beautiful but losing power for 18 hours was a drag.

natureworldDSCN1710

One of my neighbor's has a generator and it was so sweet of her to bring me hot chocolate and make sure I was o.k.

natureworldDSCN1754

On my blog I frequently mention walking with Bill or going on a vacation with Bill.

natureworldDSCN1796

Bill and I were married in 1980, divorced in 1994 and by 1998 were back to being close friends which we've been ever since.

natureworldDSCN1811

Bill lost power for part of Thursday but his power was back on 8 hours before mine.

natureworldDSCN1816

I could have gone to his house but I wanted to stay at my home so I could get some work done when my power returned. I still live in the same house we bought when we were married and he lives in a townhouse about 5 miles from me. 

natureworldDSCN1818

I was relieved to get my power back in the evening because it was a very cold night and once it was dark even though Bill and I live close to each other it didn't seem safe to leave without being able to clearly see the road.

natureworldDSCN1837

I walked around my yard briefly to take photographs but most were taken from my windows.

natureworldDSCN1841

I didn't want to risk getting too cold when I didn't have power since I couldn't warm up inside.

natureworldDSCN1861

The shot below and a few more are from Friday.

natureworldDSCN2014

Friday was a beautiful day and there was some melting.

natureworldDSCN2023

I love icicles. As the snow melted in the sun a lot of icicles formed because it was still cold.

natureworldDSCN2058

I walked down to the street to debate trying to drive to the store.

natureworldDSCN2079

I decided to wait until Saturday.

natureworldDSCN2080

The shot below is of a mourning dove on my deck Saturday.

natureworldDSCN2169

Although there was a fair amount of snow and ice left on Saturday the roads were fine so I was able to run my errands.

natureworldDSCN2171

Most of the snow fell off of the vines and trees on Saturday.

natureworldDSCN2191

It was nice to have a sunny day although not particularly warm.

natureworldDSCN2194

On Sunday, March came in like a lion with freezing rain.

natureworldDSCN2252

In the shot above the icicles are new from today's freezing rain but the snow is leftover for the Wednesday night storm.

natureworldDSCN2282

I've been watching for red-bellied woodpeckers because they come to my deck for food in bad weather but today is the first time I've seen them this winter.

natureworldDSCN2283

It's supposed to get slightly above freezing today but it's 1:30 pm and hasn't so far.

natureworldDSCN2288

The good news is tonight is supposed to inch up a few degrees and by Monday morning it should be well above freezing and by mid day about fifteen degrees above freezing.

natworldDSCN2338

The photographs in this post were sequential beginning with Tuesday February 24, 2015 and ending with March 1, 2015. Click for the home of Nature Notes and here for Our World Tuesday.

20 comments:

Leora said...

Losing power is no fun at all. You got some lovely photos. I especially like all the birds.

Rambling Woods said...

Oh even you have bad weather. I am glad you are fine, even though losing power is not good. I love that you and your ex are good friends.... That doesn't happen often... Michelle

Anonymous said...

Wow - what extreme weather! Those icicles are amazing - but ice is horrible for driving on.

You got some lovely shots.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You always pack a lot of interesting information into your short/pithy sentences, but I have to tell you that this post takes first prize ever! It's wonderful that you and Bill remain good friends.

Your weather has been so crazy this winter -- I would be petrified to venture out on those roads. But it really is beautiful -- those icicle pictures are works of art!

Photo Cache said...

What beautiful winter scenery you had. Everyone seems to be getting a lot of snow.

Valerie said...

A great series of shots, especially the Red Cardinal contrasting against the snow, and that "trellis"-type gate shot is stunning. Lovely to hear you and your ex have been able to maintain a friendship. Hope you soon get some warmer days & nights!

Annie said...

You took some awesome photos of our recent extreme weather. Is that a woodthrush in your 7th photo? I saw one of those in my yard...got out the Bird ID book and that was my best guess.

Are we going to get more on Thursday?

Rajesh said...

Beautiful winter shots with lovely birds.

Barb said...

I imagine this isn't your typical winter! I rode the ski lift with a woman form TN, and she said they were at a standstill with 6" of snow. Losing power is the worst! It makes us realize how dependent on it we are!

Susan Demeter said...

Beautiful pics I especially love the cardinals they are so cheery to see in the Winter. Its great that you can work from home during bad weather. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

EW! I would hate to lose power for so long. Even a couple of hours is too long for me! :)

Amy said...

lovely lovely snow! send it here

Karen said...

Lovely to see your bird visitors. It's been nasty weather here too. More snow and freezing rain tomorrow.

Indrani said...

Wow! Thrilling to see so much snow, but it must be awfully cold! Soon it will be spring!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Carver, it is awful losing your power.. The winter weather has been dreadful and I am so ready for spring.. I love all your birds, a great variety.. It is nice you and Bill are great friends.. Have a happy day!

Nisha said...

Oh so much snow! And here we are craving to see some. Such is life.

carol l mckenna said...

Carver absolutely beautify nature photography of the 'wintry' experience you had ~

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

fredamans said...

Beautiful winter photos, though you are having our Canadian winter... lol... so are we though. Don't worry, you're not alone. It's sort of stopped at them moment but 5 minutes was ice pellets on top of snow. Yuck.

Andrea said...

Wonderful shots. I can't imagine the cold although the photos convey it very well. Keep warm, at least by looking at our perennial summer photos in my sites!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I cannot get over how much snow you have goten and how long it has stayed....hopefully we will finally warm up too.

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019