Translate

Blog Archive

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Monochrome Weekly - More from Colonial Williamsburg

I thought it was interesting how much more impressive the back entrance to the Colonial Governor's Palace in Colonial Williamsburg (Virginia) was than the front entrance. That could be because foreign dignitaries carriages would be entering from the back gates, where the front entrance is facing the common green and the surrounding houses and shops branching out from there were for the American colonials.
Photobucket
I'm not sure if the next shot would be considered monochrome but I think it is. I was really struck by the gilt leather hanging below. The walls in the "Great Room" on the second floor of the Colonial Virginia Governor's palace are covered with these gilt leather hangings.The tour guide discussed how the leather walls glow at night in the candle lit room. I would love to see that.
Photobucket
Please visit the home of Monochrome Weekly for other participants.

19 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

I loved it, all pictures are excellent.The second one is so charming, I think this place is really elegant and well decorated!
Happy Sunday sweet Carver
Léia

Sylvia said...

The gate is beautiful. The brocade too.

ElinSire said...

Wow! It's beautiful! Loved the colour in the second one.

Rune Eide said...

A bit of history is never amiss.

Anonymous said...

Interesting story, and I like the back gate.

James said...

Great details and that is a place that I want visit.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Amazing..I love the brick and gate as well as the view. The second one is really something! I'd like a new background page made out of that! ha- Great post-

Unknown said...

What a beautiful gate.

webruci said...

Very delicate and elaborate effects. The gate is amazing!

NatureFootstep said...

I would love o see that too. Remarkable. And what color you have on the photo. :)

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

The curly gate and brick with the tree behind make a striking picture. And the curtain is almost a monotone. I could imagine it in a sepia tone...

http://threeriversdailyphoto.blogspot.com

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

LOVELY monochromes from Williamsburg. I'll take photo #3 and would love to see the walls at night!

Anonymous said...

The second is a new departure in mono - not bad.

Mojo said...

You could just call the second one "high contrast sepia" or something I guess. Never heard of leather wallpaper before, must be a pain to keep clean!

Love the shot of the ironwork on the gate though... and it is odd that it would be the "fancy" entrance... until you explained why.

Liz Hinds said...

THose hangings are so intricate!

I love the colonial style of house.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love the pale monochrome glimpsed throught the dark detail of the gateway! And the brocade is exquisite!

Rambling Woods said...

Both photos are interesting for different reasons..You do take a great shot...

Ayie said...

the details are very intricate, interesting.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Carver, for the interesting photos and history.

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019