Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, March 2, 2009

That's My World Tuesday: Mercurial North Carolina Weather



They have a saying where I live that goes something like this: if you don't like the weather, wait a day.



We have had cold then warm then cold weather for about a month. The snow shots were taken today, the flowers without snow shots were taken on Thursday and Friday.



If it wasn't so hard on the early flowers, I wouldn't mind the changing weather. As you can see above the daffodils were starting to bloom and a few days ago looked like the shot above. The shot below shows what the same part of my garden looks like today. I have been doing some clean up in my garden but looking at these shots, I realize how messy it still is in spite of my small efforts. Oh well, another day. I don't see myself doing garden work today in the snow.




Then below another section of my garden where the narcissus are blooming as well as the lenten rose (helioborus) at the top left of the picture.



And one last shot to show the same section of my garden this morning. I'm glad I did get some daffodil shots before the weather changed. My daughter was born today (March 2) in 1985. When I went to the hospital it was snowing and the next day after she was born, we had a sunny day and the daffodils bloomed to honor her birth. This year it went in reverse, the daffodils bloomed to herald her upcoming birthday and then it snowed where I live for her birthday. At least she is having a sunny, if cold, day where she now lives in the mid-western U.S. Ironic since I live in the southeastern U.S. where we get less snow than where she is living.




To view other parts of the world, please visit that's my world.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

The weather this time of year is always so unpredictable! We've already got our AC back on!!!

Anonymous said...

It's weird in Florida, too! Being close to freezing temps at the beginning of march is unusual - lots of plants died...
Great images!
Cheers, Klaus

Louise said...

This has been one crazy winter for most of the country! I love your daffodils!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the first picture - looks like icing on a cake!

Sylvia K said...

We've had the same, ever changing kind of weather here in Seattle! Your photos, Carver, are just so lovely! snow and all! It does highlight the colors even if it is hard on the plants. Thank you so much for sharing the lovely things in your world! Have a great week!

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks the weather played a naughty joke on you!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carver: You did a wonderful job of capturing your changing seasons.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Wonderul variety in an ever changing year. The colours and texturs are so rich with each season. No Linky at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Pretty weird weather as far as I am concern, but I guess pretty typical in your world. Oh so sorry for those poor flowers.

imac said...

Beautiful photos, we saw some daffs on our Sunday visit to Belton House.

Guy D said...

Great variety of shots, I especially love the first one.

Have a great week!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Gaelyn said...

There's no such thing as "normal" weather. Yet your garden is and will be beautiful again. So March comes in like a lion there but like a lamb in Arizona. I expect snow on the 26th, my birthday, I was born in a snow storm in Illinois.
Great captures.

Arija said...

Looks like you are having typical early spring weather. I love the awakening of the garden after its long winter sleep.
Beautifully presented post.

Dirkjogt said...

Winter is fighting Spring but will eventually loose.

Femin Susan said...

Hello……. !
Very cute all these pictures... Great……. may god bless you !
We have very hot.

SandyCarlson said...

March has a way of redefining "variability" over and over again!

Anonymous said...

You actually have more snow now than we do in the midwest. Which is a good thing, from our point of view.

Lantaw said...

Spring is just around the corner :)

mommanator said...

wonderful pics- you can really see the changing weather illustrated

SabineM said...

Beautiful!
I want snow too! ;)

Sujatha Bagal said...

The snow made its way up to us today in DC! Loved the pics!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, love the feel in those pics!

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Hey Carver, NC. Where is your community? We're in Greensboro, NC in the heart of the Piedmont experiencing the same crazy weather!

Jan

Reader Wil said...

How strange is the weather all over the world! Your photos show that you can expect anything every day! Looks a bit like Holland!!

Unknown said...

Great images and lovely posting.

Unknown said...

We have that same saying in OK, except it's wait 5 minutes! Nice to see some colour in your garden.

Latane Barton said...

What a study in contrasts. But, it's like so many others things, first hot, then cold, then hot .... you get the picture.

Chat with Kathleen said...

Great photos, Carver. Having so much snow in NC must be strange. I have a son who lives in SC and he said that he really gets snow, but yesterday he had 5 inches. Here in RI we had our 4th severe winter storm with 12 inches. Your daffodils are beautiful.

antigoni said...

I like the "before and after" thing. Great post!

Jackie said...

Oh Carver this is a new meme to me. I have not seen this I don't think.

Oh I love your shots and your world is simply lovely.

Happy weekend,
Jackie

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019